[Grml] Re: Re: Bring up network on boot up

T mlist4suntong at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 15 18:19:56 CEST 2006

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 23:38:45 +0200, Michael Prokop wrote:

>> > How does your /etc/network/interfaces look like? Does it contain a
>> > "auto $INTERFACE"?
>
>> No, it does not contain the "auto $INTERFACE":
>
>> $ cat /etc/network/interfaces
>> # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8) #
>> For more sample entries take a look at /etc/network/interfaces.examples
>
>> # The loopback interface
>> # automatically added when upgrading
>> auto lo
>> iface lo inet loopback
>
> Ok, there is no configuration for your device. :)
>
>> And it is the same as what I get from booting from the Live-CD.
>
> Sure. The loopback interface is initiated "manually" and all network
> devices are started via "ifconfig $DEVICE up ; pump -i $DEVICE".

hmmm... that seems to have something to do with my messing with my DHCP
client software.

> How do you bring up your network? :) Seems like you are using a DHCP
> based setup.

Currently I manually start it up with:

 dhclient

> If you want to do it automatically start grml-network and configure it
> according to your needs. Or manually configure /etc/network/interfaces,
> take a look at /etc/network/interfaces.examples for some configuration
> examples.

I took a look at how my Debian Sarge does. Would the following 2 lines
good enough for eth0, without relying on pump?

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

thanks

PS. How does my Debian Sarge know which DHCP client that I uses, ie, which
one to use to talk to DHCP server?