[Grml] Re: Bring up network on boot up

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Tue Aug 15 23:38:45 CEST 2006

* T <mlist4suntong at yahoo.com> [20060815 23:22]:
> On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 22:07:53 +0200, Michael Prokop wrote:

> > Does '/etc/init.d/networking start' right after bootup work for you?

> IIRC, no. but I'm really not sure.

Ok.

> > How does your /etc/network/interfaces look like? Does it contain a "auto
> > $INTERFACE"?

> No, it does not contain the "auto $INTERFACE":

> $ cat /etc/network/interfaces
> # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
> # For more sample entries take a look at /etc/network/interfaces.examples

> # The loopback interface
> # automatically added when upgrading
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback

Ok, there is no configuration for your device. :)

> And it is the same as what I get from booting from the Live-CD.

Sure. The loopback interface is initiated "manually" and all network
devices are started via "ifconfig $DEVICE up ; pump -i $DEVICE".

> > And finally what does 'grep ifup /etc/runlevel.conf' return?

> $ grep ifup /etc/runlevel.conf
> 18      -       S               /etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean
> 36      -       S               /etc/init.d/ifupdown
> 39      -       -               /etc/init.d/ifupdown-scripts-zg2

> Again, same as from the Live-CD, expect the extra ifupdown-scripts-zg2
> line.

Ok.

> rings any bells?

How do you bring up your network? :) Seems like you are using a DHCP
based setup.

If you want to do it automatically start grml-network and configure
it according to your needs. Or manually configure
/etc/network/interfaces, take a look at
/etc/network/interfaces.examples for some configuration examples.

If you want to use dhcp with the same setup as from live-cd mode
make sure that CONFIG_DHCP='yes' is set in /etc/grml/autoconfig and
the binary "pump" is available.