[Grml] Grml's dhcp client

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Wed Aug 16 00:19:38 CEST 2006

* T <mlist4suntong at yahoo.com> [20060816 00:12]:
> On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 22:07:53 +0200, Michael Prokop wrote:

> >> My network is not initiated on grml 0.7 hd install boot up. I have to
> >> manually started it up afterward. I'm wondering why this is happening.

> >> - Is it because I've changed my dhcp client from pump to dhclient?

> > What do you mean with 'changed my dhcp client from pump do dhclient'? How
> > did you change it?

> I'm running grml 0.7 on hd install, so I removed the pump package and
> installed the dhclient, ie, the dhcpcd package, by

>  apt-get install pump- dhcpcd

> To me, pump is more RedHat's choice, and dhclient has always been
> Debian's. Hope we have dhclient as the dhcp client for grml in the
> future. But that's only my personal flavor though.

You can invoke manually whatever you like (dhclient is available by
default on grml as well). But pump is used inside grml-autoconfig
because it's faster than dhclient.

The Debian way of life is to configure /etc/network/interfaces like:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

if you want to use DHCP for eth0.  You don't have to care what's
running in the background. It just works.