[Grml] Missing lo device

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Tue Aug 15 23:10:49 CEST 2006

* Werner Schuster (murphee) <werner.schuster at gmail.com> [20060815 22:53]:

> after an apt-get upgrade to grml 0.8 I seem to be missing my loopback lo
> device
>  (ifconfig just shows my eth0 device after startup).
> My /etc/network/interfaces contains:

> # The loopback interface automatically added when upgrading
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback

> Has anybody else seen this?  I only noticed this because thunderbird and
> firefox started behaving oddly and
> Java debugging stopped working (Java debugging needs to listen to a
> localhost port).

Oh, interesting. I changed the 'ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up' to 'ifup
lo' and now it runs only in live-cd mode as it should be working on
hd-installations - due to autostartup of networking - in any case.
Hmmmm. :)

What does:

# grep -e ifup -e network /etc/runlevel.conf

return? As a reference take a look at:

# grep -e ifup -e network /etc/runlevel.conf.hdinstall
15      -       0,6             /etc/init.d/wpa-ifupdown
18      -       S               /etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean
35      -       S               /etc/init.d/networking
36      -       S               /etc/init.d/ifupdown

Is anything missing on your system?

If not a "ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up" put into
/etc/init.d/bootlocal.last should fix the issue in the meantime for
your.

But I'd be happy to find the reason for the problem on your box.

> PS: thanks for the 0.8 release... I'm having fun getting the
> people round here to pronounce the Funkenzutzler name;

8-))

(Please notice that I'm offline for a few days starting with
tomorrow [wednesday]. So sorry for delay then - but I'll read all
your mails afterwards of course.)