[Grml] ndiswrapper solved

Martin Yazdzik yazdzik at nyct.net
Tue Aug 15 17:33:14 CEST 2006

Dear Friends,

.

> Just because of personal interest: doesn't the bcm43xx driver work
> for you?

Idiot newbies on serious lists are at least amusing - sorry, but I am trying,
and here is where the issue ends, it seems:

bcm43xx-fwcutter can cut the firmware out
of /mnt/sda1/DRIVERS/NETWORK/ADDON/BCMWL5.SYS

  filename :  bcmwl5.sys
  version  :  3.100.35.0
  MD5      :  c3ab2d6954c7b5103770832a3a6a591b

extracting bcm43xx_microcode2.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_microcode4.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_microcode5.fw ...
*****: Sorry, it's not possible to extract "bcm43xx_microcode11.fw".
*****: Extracting firmware from an old driver is bad. Choose a more recent
one.
*****: Luckily bcm43xx driver doesn't include microcode11 uploads at the
moment.
*****: But this can be added in the future...
*****: Sorry, it's not possible to extract "bcm43xx_microcode13.fw".
*****: Extracting firmware from an old driver is bad. Choose a more recent
one.
*****: Luckily bcm43xx driver doesn't include microcode11 uploads at the
moment.
*****: But this can be added in the future...
extracting bcm43xx_pcm4.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_pcm5.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval01.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval02.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval03.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval04.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval05.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval06.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval07.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval08.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval09.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval10.fw ...

Apparently, the driver needs firmware to be extracted via fwcutter, and that
firmware is nowhere to be found, unless there is a repository somewhere that
I cannot find through google. Or, perhaps writing ever one of those files via
fwcutter -w might work?  Seems futile to me, unless  you think I should try.

It is nonetheless amazing that grml allowed the problem to be traced this far
this quickly, irrespective of the immediate irresolubility, proving your
support to be still the best in class.

Sorry for taking up so much time with this.

Very best,

--
"...children and young people feel instinctively the difference between those
who genuinely wish them well and those who regard them