[Grml] ndiswrapper solved

Martin Yazdzik yazdzik at nyct.net
Tue Aug 15 16:29:54 CEST 2006

trying to keep this in a thread somehow -

okay -

eth1      IEEE 802.11b/g  ESSID:off/any  Nickname:"Broadcom 4306"
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Invalid   Bit Rate=1 Mb/s
          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

note 4306 instead of 4309(correct card, per lspci in grml 8, as well as
factually correct card)

I cannot copy the ifup results to file, but they end up with "network down"
meaning, I strongly suspect, some firmware somewhere is not loading.

Now, if we go back to the original grml or knoppix,  or even libranet, the gui
install of ndiswrapper using the bcmwl5.inf always states that the inf files
are not correct, but the cli works.

Since modprobe bcm43xx should at least light the wifi light, which it does
not, I am strongly thinking that there must be somefirmware loading that I am
missing, and the best google came up with was(besides being in Czech)

1 - instalací balíku bcm43xx-fwcutter a spuštěním scriptu
v /usr/share/bcm43xx-fwcutter/install-bcm43xx_firmware.sh
2 - instalací balíku bcm43xx-fwcutter a rozbalením souboru např.  bcmwl5.sys
(získáme z instalace Windows) např. sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware
bcmwl5.sys
3 - instalací balíku
http://ubuntu.cafuego.net/pool/bcm43xx/bcm43xx-firmware_1.1-0ubuntu1_all.deb

I shall try this anon, but there must be an easier way between this and
ndiswrapper, although, ndiswrapper works perfectly.

Since linux based OS in general are known for laconic, unclear or simply
inbred documentation,  and GRML is known for clear, precise, and accurate,
I'll try to keep on this and do my best to get the driver working, but any
help in this would be appreciated.

Obviously, I cannot install things unless I have a connexion, so I am not sure
what kind of instructions for someone without a connexion beginning
with "install blah blah" are meant to accomplish.

This is the biggest grips with debian d-i, by the way.

(It is no different with the prism drivers, by the way, it is just that I
always kept a copy on the firmware on a floppy in the days when computers had
floppy drives.  Now, I think I have one pc left with a floppy drive, and
using a cat cable would require drilling a hole in the wall...  welcome to
NY!)

So, off to try this, but, really, there must be an easier way.

best,

"...children and young people feel instinctively the difference between those
who genuinely wish them well and those who regard them
 merely as raw material for some scheme." --Russell