[Grml] more timezone info

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sun Apr 23 11:20:53 CEST 2006

* my <yazdzik at nyct.net> [20060423 05:15]:

> In an attempt to retrace the whole install, I took the following actions
> while still in grml live-

> 1. tzconfig to America/New_York

> date revealed the local time, EDT, to be five hours earlier than UTC,
> and showed as well UTC as being the value obtained from my hw clock,
> which is, of course, set to local time.

> 2. clean reboot, using tzselect with posix value set as "NYC-0", date
> revealed local time to be CEST and utc to be what my hw clock says.

Ok.

> Thinking about this rationally, this can only mean that the live disk
> reports the hw clock as being UTC and there appears to be no way to tell
> it that this laptop BIOS is set to local time.

> On the debian installer, for instance, it asks at install if the hw
> clock is set to utc.  This is an urgent need, as there was some dreadful
> workaround in kanotix, which was also a pain.

> Thus, the grml2hd needs one or two more questions, perhaps something
> like "is the bios clock set to utc?" and something like "location" as
> many config files set the locations as at.

> In other words two things have to happen at hd install:
> 1. location has to be set as where it is, not at
> 2. we have to be able to tell the install that the BIOS clock settings
> are either UTC  or localtime.

On Debian systems you can set/unset UTC in /etc/default/rcS.
But this should be fine for you already.

I've one further idea: Can you please set CONFIG_TIME and
CONFIG_TIMEZONE to 'no' in /etc/grml/autoconfig and retry it again
then. After rebooting does it work for you as requested? If that
works for you I think I found a way to handle it.

The use of anthropomorphic terminology when dealing with computing systems
is a symptom of professional immaturity.
		-- Edsger Dijkstra