[Grml] Re: USB boot success: grml-big-0.5 + grml2hd-0.5.5

Mark or2uvma02 at sneakemail.com
Wed Nov 23 22:15:38 CET 2005

> > It's just as much work to avoid copying specific files as it is
> > to copy-all and then delete them.
>
> Saving some few MB when copying >2GB
> compared with the code complexity such a solution would have, is
> nothing anyone of us will implement. grml2hd should stay small,
> maintainable and therefor stable.

I agree, grml2hd should stay small, maintainable, and stable.
The code complexity is greater now.

It's not a question of saving a few MB; it's a question of creating
user systems that are not bogged down with complexities (extra
services) they don't need which are also open for hacker attack.

I don't see how copy-some is more complex than delete-some.
They are equivalent.

Sure, it's easier to do copy-all; but the script also does delete-some
after that.  If it just did copy-some, it would not need delete-some.
So it saves a step and reduces complexity.

I did not get an impression of stability from the delete-some step.
There were tons of errors and warnings, confusing questions, etc.
I went over that in a prior message.

Besides, it's only a couple dozen things, not the entire distro.

But I understand you may have special reasons for the arrangement,
I just don't see them myself.

Thanks for hearing the idea.
Mark