[Grml] Re: USB boot success: grml-big-0.5 + grml2hd-0.5.5

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Wed Nov 23 09:16:37 CET 2005

* Mark <or2uvma02 at sneakemail.com> [20051123 09:01]:

> > You don't have to delete any of the packages. ;-)
> > That's not possible, think about the way grml2hd has to run.
> > (Copying all files from the[ un]compressed, loopback mounted
> > squashfs-file.)

> All it would take is a filter to omit specific files.  There are various
> ways to do that.  I don't see why it's easier to go back and delete
> files.  It's just as much work to avoid copying specific files as it is
> to copy-all and then delete them.

Please take a look at the source code of grml2hd to see why we won't
integrate such a solution. Saving some few MB when copying >2GB
compared with the code complexity such a solution would have, is
nothing anyone of us will implement. grml2hd should stay small,
maintainable and therefor stable.

> > This derives from the debian package, it's not a grml issue.  And
> > such questions are important for some people.

> People booting the CD are probably not running PostgreSQL databases from
> the CD.  I'm not clear why PostgreSQL belongs on a sysadmin CD...but you
> must have reasons.

Sysadmins have to test stuff with databases. And migrate, backup and
restore databases.

> > Do you have an LCD or TFT? Do you have an "auto adjust" button on
> > your monitor?

> It's a CRT monitor; no auto-adjust.  I leave the monitor settings
> exactly as when I use my computer for Windows.  I use CD defaults for
> GRML boot.  The grml-CD fonts and video defaults look good.  The USB
> hard drive boot has the ugliness.

Hm interesting, I'll google for it.

> > Could you provide a screenshot please?

> I tried snapping digital photos, but they are bad.  The screen has some
> curvature and the lighting is rotten.  I can't freeze the boot process
> either.  Sorrry, I tried!  The video card is nVidia GeForce 3.

Ok, no problem. I'll have to ask google anyway.

> > The grml-kernel does not fit with all its features on a floppy disk.
> > So you have to use such a specialized floppy disk.

> I understand the need for specialized floppies, which is why the
> installer should make them.

Why should the installer create them if they already exist?
Anyway, I'll add a hint to http://grml.org/grml2hd/

You like grml?  Help us!      http://grml.org/donations/
Already on the grml-user-map? http://www.frappr.com/grmlusers
grml-solutions                http://solutions.grml.org/