[Grml] grml 0.5 and WPA

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sun Dec 18 13:19:07 CET 2005

* Oliver Vecernik <ml at vecernik.at> [20051218 12:03]:
> Michael Prokop schrieb:
> > Upps, I meant iwconfig of course, sorry.

> eth1      IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:""  Nickname:"HERMES I"
>           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.457 GHz  Access Point: 44:44:44:44:44:44
>           Bit Rate:2 Mb/s   Sensitivity:1/3
>           Retry limit:4   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>           Encryption key:off
>           Power Management:off
>           Link Quality=0/92  Signal level=134/153  Noise level=134/153
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

Hm, interesting.

This should print all your NICs, right?

# cat /proc/net/dev | awk -F: '/eth.:|tr.:|wlan.:|ath.:|ra.:/{print $1}'

And this should bring your wireless devices, right?

# LANG=C LC_MESSAGES=C iwconfig eth1 2>/dev/null | awk '/802\.11|READY|ESSID/{print $1}'

> I got this card up and running with WEP, but with WPA no driver works. I
> tried all of them. As far as I understand it should work with `hostap',
> but I had no luck. I configured my AP (WGT624) and found only channel 6
> to be supported with `Auto 108MBit' (Freq: 2.437 GHz). Is this possibly
> causing the problem?

And the connection works as soon as you deactivate WPA?

> > Are you sure that you provide the right key/passphrase?
> > Take a look at 'wpa_passphrase ssid1 key_foobar'.
> > And some more configuration examples can be found in
> > /usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/examples/wpa_supplicant.conf.gz
> > Also give it a try with your orinoco card.

> OPTIONS="-i ath0 -D madwifi -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf"

JFYI: http://grml.org/faq/#wpa

I'm not really sure whether this applies to madwifi/orinoco drivers
as well, so take a closer look at the logs and try different
settings. (Or maybe someone else on the list uses a similar setup?)

> should work, but doesn't.

And the configuration in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf is ok?

> BTW: I really like the way how grml works. Thank you for your efforts,
> it really rocks!

:)

> I started grml-x wmii and this is really nice! The display is very
> decent and fast. Only Vim uses a bold font as standard. Can this be
> changed to a "normal" font?

Just disable the following two lines in your ~/.vimrc:

  hi normal   ctermfg=white  ctermbg=black guifg=white  guibg=black
  hi nontext  ctermfg=blue   ctermbg=black guifg=blue   guibg=black

I'll deactivate the two lines also for the next develrelease, if no
one complains then it will be shipped with grml 0.6. ;)

> Where do I put `grml-lang at' for wmii?

Just add the following lines to your ~/.xinitrc:

  export LANG="de_AT at euro"
  export LC_ALL="de_AT at euro"
  setxkbmap de

That's all.