[Grml] Virus scanner

Florian Lauber Florian at Lauber.net
Tue Dec 13 09:09:41 CET 2005

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 05:11:32PM -0700, Mark wrote:

> In that situation it's nice to have an alternative way to get
> updated virus defs.  I can use, for example, a CD-RW, or floppies,
> or Zip, or USB hard drive, etc.  I'll have to check how to do that
> with Clam.  I hope GRML can somehow retain them in RAM.

As mentioned in the freshclam manpage, you can choose where to store
the virus-database.

freshclam(1):
# --datadir=DIRECTORY Install new database in DIRECTORY. The
# directory must be writeable for the 'clamav' user or unprivileged
# user running freshclam.

It should be trivial to run the command on another system, store the
database on a portable storage device and restore it on the infected
machine (the default directory - where you want to put the database
in - is mentioned in freshclam.conf(5), directive:
'DatabaseDirectory').
Unfortunately, I don't have a grml system by my side, so I can only
guess that it works like that.

Further, mika wrote[1] about 'removing' the infected files in his
weblog.

HTH
-fl

[1] http://www.michael-prokop.at/blog/?p=456