[Grml-devel] about grml in Grub

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Wed Dec 5 08:57:37 CET 2018

Hi,

* Gregory Amaudruz [Tue Dec 04, 2018 at 01:24:28PM -0800]:

> I put the iso file in a direcotoy of my usb stick and installed grub
> to boot it from

> in the Grub file

> I put:

> submenu "GRML 2014.11 ---> " {
>   menuentry "Grml Rescue System 64bit" {
>         iso_path="/boot/iso/grml64-full_2014.11.iso"
>         export iso_path
>         loopback loop (hd0,1)$iso_path
>         set root=(loop)
>         kernelopts=" ssh=foobarbaz toram  "
>         export kernelopts
>         configfile /boot/grub/loopback.cfg
>   }

> for that verson

> But that BIG problem with that once I am on the linux and I open a
> terminal and type:

> fdisk -l

> The entire drive is looped.

> So, I have multiple partitions of the USB Stick and I want to make it
> so that it loops only the first partition NOT the entrie drive. So,
> that I can mount septrate partions that are on the drive and have
> access to reading file and puting files on it.

So what you're talking about is the "toram" boot option.

> What to I need to put in the grub file as the description like what
> is above, So that it loops only the first partion on the drive and
> NOT the entire drive????????

It's not possible to select a specific partition, but you can
restrict it to loading just the underlying rootfs. This should do
the trick: "toram=grml64-full.squashfs" (instead of the "toram")

> Alos, if you can give me the GRUB descrption for the NEW GRML you
> have on your website, rather then the 2014 one. having the new Full
> version of the 64-bit, would be great.

Sould be enough to just replace the ISO and update iso_path
accordingly.

PS: the grml-devel mailing list is meant for *development* of Grml
and not user questions, please use
http://ml.grml.org/mailman/listinfo/grml next time instead, and also
make sure to subscribe before sending mails, otherwise you might
miss replies to your mail (I explicitly CC-ed you here)