[Grml-devel] about grml in Grub

Gregory Amaudruz gregorya at amaudruz.org
Tue Dec 4 22:24:28 CET 2018

HI

I put the iso file in a direcotoy of my usb stick and installed grub to
boot it from

in the Grub file

I put:

submenu "GRML 2014.11 ---> " {
   menuentry "Grml Rescue System 64bit" {
         iso_path="/boot/iso/grml64-full_2014.11.iso"
         export iso_path
         loopback loop (hd0,1)$iso_path
         set root=(loop)
         kernelopts=" ssh=foobarbaz toram  "
         export kernelopts
         configfile /boot/grub/loopback.cfg
   }

for that verson

But that BIG problem with that once I am on the linux and I open a
terminal and type:

fdisk -l

The entire drive is looped.

So, I have multiple partitions of the USB Stick and I want to make it so
that it loops only the first partition NOT the entrie drive. So, that I
can mount septrate partions that are on the drive and have access to
reading file and puting files on it.

What to I need to put in the grub file as the description like what is
above, So that it loops only the first partion on the drive and NOT the
entire drive????????

Alos, if you can give me the GRUB descrption for the NEW GRML you have
on your website, rather then the 2014 one. having the new Full version
of the 64-bit, would be great.

I have tried it and I do know it is a root access only, since it is
system recovery

This is what I did to install grub on the USB stick

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1846

1) Prepare the usb drive:
A new usb drive should be ready to permit the installation of Grub.
However, if a drive has been used to boot an iso file previously, you
may get an error concerning "iso9660 filesystem", depending on how the
iso boot was created. The "iso9660 filesystem" means that at some point
the USB held an isohybrid image.  Since that filesystem is in the first
64 sectors of the disk, you can't delete it by deleting partitions.  You
can delete all of your partitions, and it will still be there.
You can fix that with the dd command.
First, make sure you know the linux drive letter for your USB drive. You
don't want to accidentally erase your hard drive. Run the following
commands just to be sure you have the right drive designation.
inxi - pou or sudo fdisk -l
Since I have two internal hard drives, my USB is sdc. Yours might be sdb
or sdd
Now you can erase the boot area and everything on the drive with this
command
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=4096
  - where X is your USB drive
It takes a long time to dd a drive, so be patient. My 8 GB drive took
almost 20 minutes.

2) Configure the usb drive:
If you don't have GParted, install it > sudo apt-get install gparted
Open GParted and locate the USB drive using the drop-down menu at the
top right.
Unmount the USB drive - right click > Unmount
Create a new partition table (so that you can format to ext2) - Device >
Create Partition Table > msdos
Create a new ext2 partition - right click on the unallocated space >
New  > Format: ext2, Label: Grub2isoUSB
-  (it can be ext2, ext3, or ext4. I use ext2 on flash drives because
the lack of journaling means less wear and tear on the drive.)
Set the boot Flag - right click > Manage Flags > boot
Close GParted.
Now you have a clean USB drive ready for your .iso files.

3) Install grub2 to the USB:
  - (my USB is sdc)
Mount the USB partition: udisks --mount /dev/sdc1
Make a /boot directory: sudo mkdir /media/Grub2isoUSB/boot
Install Grub: sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/media/Grub2isoUSB/boot
/dev/sdc
Take ownership of the mount point and all directories on the USB so that
you can edit grub.cfg and add and remove .iso files freely:  sudo chown
-R $USER:$USER /media/Grub2isoUSB

OR:  sudo chown -R yourusername:yourusername /media/Grub2isoUSB

- edit the command for your actual user name and the correct mount point.