[Grml-devel] [Grml] First Release Candidate of Grml version 2017.05 available

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Fri May 19 15:42:48 CEST 2017

* Axel Beckert [Wed May 10, 2017 at 01:33:33AM +0200]:

> some more observations from booting the 32 bit part of the grml96-full
> image on an EeePC 900A via USB stick:

> Of course the boot process is slower on a nearly 10 years old EeePC
> than with a 2-year old ThinkPad, but this showed at least one issue
> with the move to systemd and its parallel booting. When finished
> booting, the grml-quickconfig box already partially scrolled off the
> screen and quite some boot messages were only shown after the
> grml-quickconfig box:

[...]

This was https://github.com/grml/grml/issues/19 and is fixed now.

> Another strange error message popped up when connecting to my home
> wifi after DHCP has succeeded:

[...]
> invoke-rc.d: initscript smbd, action "reload" failed.
> Error: invalid characters specified in hostname: '...' can not be used inside hostnames.
> bound to 192.168.1.227 -- renewal in 18283 seconds.

> Note the "invalid characters specified in hostname" error in the
> second-last line and especially that it's saying "..." would be part
> of the hostname. (Since I never saw that error message on other hosts
> in the same network, I assume it's not a misconfiguration on the DHCP
> server -- which is a Turris Omnia running dnsmasq.)

As written on IRC (IIRC) grml-hostname expects hostnames following
RFC 952, so we'd need to know what hostname you're getting here.

> Then I noticed that the grml96-full image has at least one different
> text inside the "Additional boot entries for:" menus compared to the
> grml64-full image (for the same functionality):

>   grml96: "Graphical Mode" (both, for grml32 and grml64)
>   grml64: "Start X by default" (or similar)

> Additionally, grml64-full has two menu entries "Load grml to RAM" and
> "Load whole medium to RAM" while grml96-full only has "Load to RAM".

> I would have expected that the submenus on grml96 are identical to
> those of grml64.

Have to verify that yet, thanks for reporting.