[Grml-devel] [Grml] First Release Candidate of Grml version 2017.05 available

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Fri May 19 15:37:00 CEST 2017

* Axel Beckert [Tue May 09, 2017 at 07:12:23PM +0200]:
> On Mon, May 08, 2017 at 11:11:05PM +0200, Michael Prokop wrote:

> > Please test the ISOs and everything you usually use and rely on, and
> > report back so we can complete the stable release soon.

> Tested it on a rather new Lenovo ThinkPad X470s. In general, it worked
> fine both with booting the amd64 bit version off

> a) the grml64-full ISO via grml-rescueboot
> b) the grml96-full ISO via USB 3.0 stick

> Unless mentioned otherwise I only tried the "copy grml to RAM" and
> "copy whole medium to RAM" options. Noticed no differences between
> those two, especially not wrt. to the issues reported below.

"copy grml to RAM" = only squashfs,
"copy whole medium to RAM" = all files on ISO, not really much of a
difference for a normal ISO, but relevant if you've custom files on
your ISO

> The following issues showed up:

> * In all cases it showe (with the bootloader background screen still
>   shown if booted via grml-rescueboot, otherwise still with the
>   bootloader resolution and font) an error message "error: null src
>   bitmap on grub_video_bitmap_create_scaled.", then "Loading kernel" +
>   Strangely because:

>   + Pressing any key does not cause any immediate change or reaction.
>   + Leaving this screen without pressing any key shows grml booting
>     after maybe 15 to 30 seconds anyways.

This is https://github.com/grml/grml/issues/16
and fixed now.

> * X does _not_ start if I press "x" but throws some error messages
>   including some "permission denied" and "cannot connect to X server".
[...]

This is https://github.com/grml/grml/issues/20 and under debugging
by Darshaka right *now*.

> * If I try to connect to an WPA 2 Enterprise wifi I just get the
>   prompt for a normal WPA 1/2 Personal (Shared Secret) network and
>   hence don't get any network. (That's also the reason why I couldn't
>   quickly get the X logs off that machine.)

This is https://github.com/grml/grml/issues/28 and we'd need help
from someone implementing this feature.

https://github.com/grml/grml/issues/29 and same as above :)

>   I'm not sure if I tried that before, so the chances that this is not
>   a regression but just a missing feature. :-)

Indeed :)