[Grml-devel] [Grml] First Release Candidate of Grml version 2017.05 available

Axel Beckert abe at deuxchevaux.org
Tue May 9 19:12:23 CEST 2017

Hi,

On Mon, May 08, 2017 at 11:11:05PM +0200, Michael Prokop wrote:
> so *finally* we did it again, jey! The first release candidate of
> the upcoming Grml version 2017.05, code-named 'Freedatensuppe' is
> available.

Yay! :-)

> Please test the ISOs and everything you usually use and rely on, and
> report back so we can complete the stable release soon.

Tested it on a rather new Lenovo ThinkPad X470s. In general, it worked
fine both with booting the amd64 bit version off

a) the grml64-full ISO via grml-rescueboot
b) the grml96-full ISO via USB 3.0 stick

Unless mentioned otherwise I only tried the "copy grml to RAM" and
"copy whole medium to RAM" options. Noticed no differences between
those two, especially not wrt. to the issues reported below.

The following issues showed up:

* In all cases it showe (with the bootloader background screen still
  shown if booted via grml-rescueboot, otherwise still with the
  bootloader resolution and font) an error message "error: null src
  bitmap on grub_video_bitmap_create_scaled.", then "Loading kernel" +
  Strangely because:

  + Pressing any key does not cause any immediate change or reaction.
  + Leaving this screen without pressing any key shows grml booting
    after maybe 15 to 30 seconds anyways.

  So this is primarily confusing. Some "Loading medium into memory,
  please wait" message or so and maybe getting rid of that "error:
  null src bitmap on grub_video_bitmap_create_scaled." message which
  doesn't seem to be relevant would greatly improve the user
  experience. :-)

  (This issue does not happen if I use the default boot method without

* X does _not_ start if I press "x" but throws some error messages
  including some "permission denied" and "cannot connect to X server".

  Similar if not identical errors show up when trying to run "startx"
  as user "grml".

  The boot loader menu item "Start X by default" does not work either
  with similar error messages.

  (Will try to the X.org logs off the machine later.)

  X does though start up without issues if I use "startx" as root.

* If I try to connect to an WPA 2 Enterprise wifi I just get the
  prompt for a normal WPA 1/2 Personal (Shared Secret) network and
  hence don't get any network. (That's also the reason why I couldn't
  quickly get the X logs off that machine.)

  I don't seem to be able to use 802.1X for authenticating the machine
  on the network either. At least I haven't found an according menu
  point in grml-network.

  I'm not sure if I tried that before, so the chances that this is not
  a regression but just a missing feature. :-)

		Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe at deuxchevaux.org  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html | abe at noone.org (Mail+Jabber)
/ \  I love long mails: http://email.is-not-s.ms/ | http://abe.noone.org/ (Web)