[Grml-devel] First Release Candidate of Grml version 2017.05 available

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Tue May 9 13:44:35 CEST 2017

* Christoph Biedl [Mon May 08, 2017 at 11:41:26PM +0200]:
> Michael Prokop wrote...

> > The first release candidate of
> > the upcoming Grml version 2017.05, code-named 'Freedatensuppe' is
> > available.

> The Swiss edition will be sold as Flätlisuppe, I guess?

Hehe

> > For detailed information about the changes between 2014.11 and
> > 2017.05 have a look at the official release announcement:

> >   http://grml.org/changelogs/README-grml-2017.05-rc1/

> So I guess this release will, like Debian, no longer support older i386
> CPUs? Then the release notes should mention that on some place. I'll try
> to test on K6 and C3 systems these days, this should fail, and hopefully
> in a sane way. Also, no worries, they are at least 15 years old now and
> demand a tremendous amount of pocket money.

Yeah, we don't modify/rebuild Debian's userspace tools and our
kernel is based on Debian's. I don't have any such old systems
though and don't know which CPUs are exactly unsupported now.
So whoever knows what we should write in our release notes, please
just create a PR or patch against
https://github.com/grml/grml.org/blob/master/changelogs/README-grml-2017.05-rc1/index.html.tt2
:)

> A visual: At least the small i386 image prints a "[ FAIL ] amixer binary
> not availble" warning during boot. If it's easy to avoid that, please do
> so.

amixer is coming from alsa-utils, which would pull in ~8MB of
additional disk space usage on grml-small, so probably not worth it.
Should we just make it a warning instead of an error message, or do
you suggest something else?