[Grml-devel] grml - package report: Defaulf for findiso boot option

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Thu Mar 11 23:49:59 CET 2010

* Florian Kusche <flox at kusche.de> [Sun Mar 07, 2010 at 09:34:14PM +0100]:

> is it possible to include a default value for the findiso boot
> parameter in the initrd scripts? Something like "/grml.iso" would
> be sufficient.

> Reason: Integration of grml into multi-boot-rescue DVDs would be
> much easier. One could place the grml-ISO-image at the default
> location on the DVD and just chain load from the boot menu of the
> rescue DVD to the grml boot loader. Actually, it already works -
> you just have to enter the ISOLINUX command line and enter "grml
> findiso=/grml.iso". However, it would be nice, if that would not
> be necessary.

Hm you mean if the user is specifying findiso without any arguments
it should use /grml.iso by default?

Or do you mean it should try to use /grml.iso really just by
default in the default unmodified boot option?

Whereas the first option doesn't bring any real benefits IMO the
second option actually is quite risky. First of all because of
possible unexpected behaviour as well as locating a possible wrong
grml ISO, non matching kernel versions etc. (Yeah, we've a new
mechanism to improve reliability for identifying the according boot
device nowadays but it might become funny to debug in several
situations anyway.)

I do prefer explicit configuration in this situation, but adding
Grml developer mailinglist to Cc in case I overlook anything.

Thanks for your feedback,