[Grml] switching to dnsmasq when using grml-terminalserver

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Wed Oct 28 18:25:31 CET 2020

Hi,

* 洪朝貴 [Sat Oct 24, 2020 at 04:00:59PM +0800]:

> Is it possible to replace isc dhcp server with dnsmasq for use with
> grml-terminalserver?
> There is an existing dhcp server in my environment that I cannot touch
> and therefore I need to set up a proxy dhcp server for
> distributing only pxe-related files but not ip addresses like this:
> https://www.theurbanpenguin.com/pxelinux-using-proxy-dhcp/
> Dnsmasq can do it but isc-dhcp-server does not seem to have this option.
> Thanks!

Well, you can of course use dnsmasq instead of isc-dhcp-server in
your environment. But if you're asking for out-of-the-box support
within the grml-terminalserver user interface, then that's something
someone would need to implement yet. :)

I'm not *yet* sure we'd want to use dnsmasq instead of
isc-dhcp-server by default, this would need some further research
regarding possible drawbacks, package dependency changes,.... One of
the major drawbacks of dnsmasq IMO is, that you need to pretty much
always *restart* it - instead of reload without real downtime - for
most of any config changes, like adding a new host. This shouldn't
be much of a problem for grml-terminalserver itself though, while
the proxydhcp feature sounds like a good argument in favor of
dnsmasq for grml-terminalserver. Any further opinions?

regards