[Grml] grml-live

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Sun Apr 26 02:28:38 CEST 2015

I want to make myself a custom grml disk that starts the speakup screen
reader automatically. I successfully built a grml iso via grml-live but
none of my customizations seem to have made it into the iso. The one
thing that made it in is that the iso has my own name. Instead of it
being grml_0.0-1.iso, it is vigrml_0.0-1.iso. But the hostname and
username I set in /etc/grml/grml-live.local did not take. I don't really
care too much about that. What I really want to do is to load the
speakup_soft kernel module and run the espeakup command as early as
possible in the boot process. Debian puts speakup_soft in
/etc/initramfs-tools/modules and runs espeakup via /etc/rcS.d/S19espeakup.

I am familiar with fai so I added a class, VIGRML, to the list of
classes in /etc/grml/grml-liv.local. It appears to have worked up to a
point. My modified /etc/nitramfs-tools/modules file made it onto the
grml-chroot. But the module is not loaded when I boot from the iso so I
am going to say it did not make it into the initramfs.

So this leads me to my next question ... What is the proper use of the
grml-live command to tell it to run the fai scripts, then generate an
initramfs, then build an iso? I suspect that it cannot be done. I am
guessing grml-live installs initramfs-tools and builds the initramfs and
*then* runs the fai scripts. So my fai script to put the
/etc/initramfs-tools/modules file there was irrelevant. I have to chroot
to /grml/grml-live/grml-chroot and rebuild the initramfs via the
initramfs -u command.

Well, back to the hosthame and username problem... Here is my
grml-liv.local:

# Local settings for grml-live
CLASSES="GRMLBASE,GRML_FULL,AMD64,VIGRML"
VERSION="0.0-1"
RELEASENAME="grml-live"
GRML_NAME="vigrml"
HOSTNAME=vigrml