[Grml] (grml-)debootstrap network timeout / retry settings?

adrelanos adrelanos at riseup.net
Tue Oct 8 23:37:48 CEST 2013

Michael Prokop:
> * adrelanos [Tue Oct 01, 2013 at 10:44:31PM +0000]:
>
>> is it possible to add apt-like options to (grml-)debootstrap to get
>> higher timeouts / more retries when network is slow / flaky?
>
>> Options comparable to "--option Acquire::http::Timeout=180" or "--option
>> Acquire::Retries=3"?
>
> What you're searching for should be possible via
> the DPKG_OPTIONS setting.

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think this can work. grml-debootstrap itself (I checked
/usr/sbin/grml-debootstrap) does not use any network on its own? No
wget, no curl, no dpkg, no apt-get as far I can see. That's all
delegated to debootstrap?

I also checked /usr/sbin/debootstrap and
/usr/share/debootstrap/functions. Seems like debootstrap doesn't use
dpkg/apt-get either. The only point where it seems to use code to use
the network seems to be in /usr/share/debootstrap/functions using wget.

Also I couldn't find any documentation about the DPKG_OPTIONS variable.
And as far I know, dpkg can't download packages on it's own and apt-get
is unlikely to obey DPKG_OPTIONS?

When grml-debootstrap doesn't use any network on its own (please
confirm), maybe this question should be rephrased as feature request for
debootstrap?