[Grml] RC: disable zshrc's share_history feature by default?

Frank Terbeck ft at grml.org
Thu Mar 28 20:31:46 CET 2013

Darshaka Pathirana wrote:
[...]
> That said, I also love that share_history feature!
> I am not sure how you guys work but I usually remember my last command
> (regardless which terminal I currently use). It often happens that I
> get interrupted, switch away from (or even close) the terminal and
> when trying to return find myself in a different terminal where I have
> no access to my last command....

I usually do different things in different shells. Hence that feature is
absolutely the worst for *me*. But this is not about personal preference.

[...]
> Thinking loud here:
> * what about putting a note at the end of the boot process which
> informs the user about that fact (if you really think that feature is
> that dangerous)?

This is not going to help.

> * what about adding an option to grml-quickconfig to quickly disable
> this feature? Hmm, but when thinking about it: the shells on the other
> consoles are alreay up and running and when invoking grml-quickconfig
> this might be too late. Is there some kind of SIGHUP to tell (all
> running) zsh to reload its config?
>
> * do NOT make different settings for grml live-cd and the
> grml-config: people who are able to apply grml-config are surely able
> to adapt their needs in .zsh.local

I would rather change the default on the live-medium than use a
grml-quickconfig setting. Not because it's better but because the
quickconfig approach is not easily possible.

> And if anybody cares: my vote goes to keep share_history!

Again, this isn't a vote.

If you could make a convincing argument, that share_history indeed does
not violate the principle of least surprise, then that could make a
difference.  But I doubt you can. Because zsh is pretty much the only
shell that implements this. And even with zsh, it's *not* the default
setting.

After realising, that it does in fact violate said principle, you can
absolutely still like the feature. There is nothing wrong with liking
it. But enabling it, should be an conscious decision by *you* the user.
It should not be the default.

Regards, Frank