[Grml] zsh history completion via arrow keys

John da_audiophile at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 21:16:01 CET 2013

> So, `up-line-or-search' is indeed active already. Isn't this what you

> asked for? From the manual:
>
>      up-line-or-search
>           Move up a line in the  buffer, or if already at the top
>           line,  search  backward  in  the  history  for  a  line
>           beginning with the first word in the buffer.
>
>           If  called from  a  function by  the  zle command  with
>           arguments, the  first argument  is taken as  the string
>           for which to search, rather  than the first word in the
>           buffer.

It is active, but its behavior isn't what I'd like... For example:

% vim ~/<<UPARROW>>

Here are the first 4 responses to the above line:

% vim PKGBUILD
% vim build_time.txt
% ~/.ssh/known_hosts
% ~/bin/wake

I want zsh to only show me responses in my history that begin with 'vim ~/' so in my example above, the first two would not show up at all.  Is there such a widget (without using that huge fishshell thing).

Thanks!