[Grml] planning to switch back, a couple of questions

Doug Smith braillefingers at gmx.com
Wed Mar 14 03:07:47 CET 2012

Ok, and hi, there.  This is Doug with a bit of good news.
One of your blind grmlers is coming home.  I just have to
know the answers to a couple of questions, and I will give
you the reason why I decided to take the nestea plunge, so
to speak.

First of all, I know how to start speakup on the live cd.

press q and return to be sure you're out of that quick
config menu and can work in the console.

modprobe speakup_soft; espeakup

Then hit return twice.  What I want to know is this: How can
I have an accessible login that will start speaking when I
need to log in on a hard disk installation of grml?  Don't
worry, I have performed a blue billion of these and I know
just how to avoid accidents.  I know you do not necessarily
encourage installs.

The next question I have is this: What happens on a hard
disk install?  For example, I have everything talking when I
install.  Will it still be there when I reboot the installed
system?

If yes, then great.  If not, all my work will not be in
vain, grml is always better to me than that.  I have always
been able to get myself out of messes.  My next question is:
if I need to put speakup_soft start = 1 in the /etc/modules
file so that it will be loaded on startup, that's no
problem.  The question is where do I put the startup for
espeakup so that it comes up talking at the login screen?
If that's not the solution, will I still have the four beeps
when grml has finished booting?

Now, the final question.  Are there any other blind grmlers
who are using edbrowse?  The reason I wonder about all this
is because I have found it supports javascript.  I hope it
will work on radio station sites and other sites with
streaming media when using mplayer to actually play the
media.  Is this true?  Will I be able to stream radio
stations live, use http://www.dishonline.com, access my
http://www.learningally account, play internet radio on
http://www.jango.com, watch youtube videos and videos from
http://www.nascar.com if I use mplayer to actually play the
streams and fix this in the configuration file?

I have read, over there on the speakup mailing list about
people who use latex for their formatted writing projects.
They say its better than any word processor on the
commercial market today.  How do you view the formatted
results of your work with a command line program? What do
you use?

Well, that's about all I have to ask for now.  Now, I want
to tell you why I decided to finally try to come back home.
In the GUI world, there are many changes going on on.  Right
now, it's broken this and inaccessible that.  Not only that,
I am sick and tired and fed up to here with graphical
interfaces.  I have had to use them for the last couple or
three years, and that is just so unnatural to me, a person
who was raised on the command line.  The common response to
this is: "We have had the command line since day one and we
have been trying to get away from it since day two." Well, I
respond this way: You have had the graphical interface since
day 2 and I have been trying to get away from that since day
2.5.  It is just so unnatural to go tabbing and arrowing
around and alt-tabbing and shift-tabbing and
control-shift-tabbing around to get an app to work.  I just
like the good old

program options files and off it goes to do my bidding.

If I can get answers to these questions, I will be coming
back soon.  I hope to bring some other blind people with me
in the future.

Well, that should do it for now.  I am sure you are tired of
reading my ramblings.  Please get back to me as soon as
possible.

Sincerely yours:

Doug Smith