[Grml] loop-AES removed: PANIC

Ulrich Dangel mru at grml.org
Wed Mar 7 02:23:20 CET 2012

* Fog_Watch wrote [07.03.12 02:03]:
> I downloaded Knecht Rootrecht overnight, booted it this morning and
> thought I'ld just check whether it still contained loop-AES.  It
> doesn't.  IT DOESN'T.  AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.  First, Knoppix, now
> GRML.  PANIC.

AFAIK loop-aes is deprecated and you should switch sooner rather than
later to dm-crypt or luks.

> Loop-AES is fast, efficient, cool, essential and all my software and
> data sit on it.

loop-aes is not essential. It is afaik an external kernel module
and was never integrated into upstream.

You should switch to dm-crypt. For a starting point have a look at
http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#7._Interoperability_with_other_Disk_Encryption_Tools

Ulrich