[Grml] booting iso directly

Mark Smith grmlorg at awayand.sleepmail.com
Wed Jun 8 07:42:20 CEST 2011

Hi,
I am using ubcd with syslinux from my usb stick to boot the grml iso
from it. This config looks like this:

grml.iso (700MB) is copied to my usb stick at
/mnt/usbstick/ubcd/custom/grml.iso
syslinux .ini file is edited to reflect the iso location

I reboot from the ubcd usb stick, and select grml.iso to boot. grml.iso
is loaded into memory. Then, the grml boot-screen appears. After just
selecting the standard boot, I get an error about a kernel module not
being found. I am assuming the issue is that the .iso is simply "lost"
but I never understood that while INT 13h call thing or whatever it is
called. So I am dropped into an "initramfs"-shell.

I have tried the following to get around this:

Mounting the grml.iso into /live/image, then exiting:

mkdir /mnt
mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt
mount /mnt/ubcd/custom/grml.iso /live/image -o loop
exit

However, this didn't work, I get more errors.

On a side note, this approach does work for example with the arch linux
netinstall.iso, so I am sure it will work with grml, but I guess my
issue is I don't know exactly if /live/image is the correct location?

Any help greatly appreciated!