[Grml] graphic login on tty7

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Mon Jul 4 14:09:10 CEST 2011

Possibly the best method is to modify your inittab (normally
/etc/inittab). First thing to modify in inittab is the default runlevel,
you should have a line like
id:2:initdefault:
change it to
id:5:initdefault:
Now you need to set the correct X login manager for the X terminal.
There may be a suitable line already there but commented out (IE. with
the hash symbol (#) at the beginning). You need a line like
x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/gdm -nodaemon
Please be aware that the GDM login manager binary may be located else
where (IE. it may or may not be /usr/bin/gdm) as I have taken this line
from an archlinux system which was to hand.

Now just save inittab (probably needs superuser permissions).

I cannot remember, but there may be a GDM start up script which you
could use instead, however I think the inittab route is preferred.

Michael Whapples