[Grml] EXT3-fs: barriers not enabled

Sven Crouse svenc at snet.net
Tue Jan 18 02:22:16 CET 2011

Hi GRML.  I appreciate your system, have been using since 2008.
Recently learned about persistency which I plan to use to replace custom
initramfs for booting & maintenance of RAID1/LVM2 systems containing
root partitions.

I just finished migrating Gentoo from single partition to mirrored
( RAID1 ) and LVM2 volumes.  In the process, I learned/realized that the
Ext3 filesystems contained within raid/volume group are not enabling
write barriers despite being told by fstab to do so.  This is 2.6.36
kernel with lvm2 version 2.02.73.  I thought to try to grml 2010.12 as
well, but problem remains.

My question:  is there any magic "Start" besides mdadm-raid, lvm that
should be necessary ?  We can otherwise mount partitions without
incident.  Does somebody have ext3 barriers enabled by default such that
I know it should be realized with 2010.12 ?

Appreciatively,

Sven