[Grml] Is nss-ldap missing from grml 2010.04 ?

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Tue Jan 4 02:16:03 CET 2011

Thomas Köhler <jean-luc at picard.franken.de> wrote:
> Jason White wrote:
> > Thomas Köhler <jean-luc at picard.franken.de> wrote:
> > > While generally true, I chose grml as my desktop system of
> > > choice. I just remaster to add a few extra packages. It has all
> > > it needs, quickly accepts patches ;) and just works.
> >
> > It wouldn't be difficult to install it and then just add whatever is desired
> > from the Debian repositories.
>
> Sure, but loosing the possibility to easily roll back after a
> broken update by just switching to the last known good version
> would be sad. I have yet to see a more elegant solution to that
> problem.

LVM or Btrfs snapshots are one possibility, which will become more common as
Btrfs stabilizes. There was an article about this on LWN some time ago.

My usual solution to this is to include testing in /etc/apt/sources.list (even
if I am upgrading to Unstable). If a package upgrade fails, I can just run sudo
aptitude install package/testing and get the version which is in testing,
and that generally fixes the problem. The maintainer then corrects the
package, uploads a new version, and the issue goes away.

That covers the great majority of cases in my experience (having run Debian
Sid since 1999 or so, on various machines.)

If the system becomes unbootable (which is rare), there's always Grml to the
rescue.