[Grml] Is nss-ldap missing from grml 2010.04 ?

jonty grml at jonmail.co.uk
Sun Jan 2 16:01:23 CET 2011

Hi All,

I have been using grml for the last couple of months.  I am building a
network of about 20 machines, all running grml, and I want them to share
a single set of login names and passwords.  So I decided to configure
OpenLDAP as a service on one machine and configure the other machines to
find login+password from this service.

I am following the instructions set out at:

  http://wiki.debian.org/LDAP/NSS
  http://www.debian-administration.org/article/585/OpenLDAP_installation_on_Debian

They suggest I use libnss-ldap.  But this package seems to be missing
from my copy of grml 2010.04.  I have also checked the package list
for 2010.12 and that does not contain libnss-ldap.

This seems a strange omission from grml.  It contains slapd to run the
service and several clients such as freeradius-ldap, libnet-ldap-perl,
postfix-ldap, and smbldap-tools.  So why not libnss-ldap?

I could install libnss-ldap on each client machine.  But then I have to
repeat those same steps on 20 machines, which makes it 20 times more
likely I will make a mistake somewhere.

I tried "apt-get install libnss-ldap" on a test machine.  This started
updating libc-bin and installing locales, which seemed a good way of
breaking the distro.  Can anyone suggest a better approach?  Should I
remaster the CD?  Is there some gmrl magic I am missing?  Is there a
different tool for login+password that is not ldap?

Thanks
Jonty