[Grml] Trying to boot grml ISO image with grml-rescueboot fails

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Mon Feb 21 22:30:27 CET 2011

* Frédéric Boiteux <fboiteux at calistel.com> [Mon Feb 21, 2011 at 10:40:00AM +0100]:
> Le 18/02/2011 18:25, Michael Prokop a écrit :
> > Can you please try adding the following code after line 36 to
> > /etc/grub.d/42_grml:

> >   $(prepare_grub_to_access_device ${GRUB_DEVICE_BOOT}) | sed -e "s/^/        /")

> > so /etc/grub.d/42_grml looks like:

> > [...]
> >   cat << EOF
> > menuentry "${title}" {
> > $(prepare_grub_to_access_device ${GRUB_DEVICE_BOOT} | sed -e "s/^/        /")
> >         iso_path="${rel_dirname}/$grml $CUSTOM_BOOTOPTIONS"
> > [...]

> > If that works for you I'd apply this fix and upload a new version of
> > grml-rescueboot.

> Your line had a typo (the first ")" has to be removed), then I can get
> the Grml menu (I've joined my 42_grml file for reference).

Wupps, right.

> > You can add debug=vc manually to the kernel cmdline in Grml's
> > bootsplash or just select the debug menu entry if you want a more
> > verbose boot mode.

> > Notice that you don't need the forensic mode for this situation as
> > Grml won't use your swap partition unless you explictely request to
> > do so.

> Thanks for the precision.

> I still have a problem booting Grml, but I don't see exaclty what is
> wrong and how it can work for you ;-) my Grml booting problem is that
> live system doesn't find the ISO, because of problem in kernel command
> line :
> I get a kernel command line (from my memory) like :
> apm=power-off quiet ... iso="/boot/grml/grml64-medium_2010.12.iso " ...

> The problem comes from the quotes around ISO path, as set in 42_grml :
> iso_path="/boot/grml/grml64-medium_2010.12.iso "
> (I don't at first set CUSTOM_BOOTOPTIONS, I then tried with some
> options, with the same result)

> I have to remove quotes in iso_path definition to be able to boot, then
> in that case, I lose optional boot options set in CUSTOM_BOOTOPTIONS).

> I've tried to understand how Grml's Grub menu works (with variables like
> "${isoopts}" "${kernelopts}", i'm not sure about the first variable
> name), but I don't understand where these variables are set, and how to
> have a correct boot command with optional BOOTOPTIONS.

Thanks to your excellent hints I could spot the problem. I just
uploaded grml-rescueboot 0.3.0 to grml-testing that should fix this
issue.

Sadly there's still a problem with CUSTOM_BOOTOPTIONS when having
more than one option (so CUSTOM_BOOTOPTIONS="ssh=password" works
but CUSTOM_BOOTOPTIONS="ssh password lang=de" fails). I've an idea
how this could be resolved but this needs further testing.

Anyway, your main issue should be fixed - please let us know whether
it works for you!