[Grml] removal of "buffer" command? alternatives?

Frank Terbeck ft at grml.org
Wed Dec 28 15:40:29 CET 2011

Michael Prokop wrote:
> * Frank Terbeck [Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 01:43:22PM +0100]:
>> I'd like at least one IRC client on the ISO, too. It's useful for crying
>> for help when something goes haywire. Irssi or epic are reasonable
>> suspects, I guess. Maybe even weechat (although I think the default
>> behaviour is insane).
>
> Hm, good point. But the ones needing help need network
> access anyway, so they can just install their favourite IRC client
> anyway, no? (I'm aware that we did provide out-of-the-box config for
> irssi which just joined our channel, but I didn't see that many
> people using that actually.)

True. But still. ;)

The client I'm installing on my machines (I'm connected 24/7 on one
machine that has `irssi') is usually `epic4', because it does *not*
require any configuration.

  % irc nickname irc.freenode.net

...and I'm on freenode. That's enough for quick chats, IMHO. `ircii' is
even simpler and only requires minimal dependencies, but epic is a
little more convenient to use out-of-the-box, I think (and we probably
ship its dependencies already). Both are alternatives for the `irc'
command used above.

If you're firmly against it, I don't care too much.

[...]
> grml96 is the result of one single grml2iso command line, so it
> won't receive a different package list than grml32 and grml64 but
> instead will just continue being the result of the two ISOs getting
> combined, from my POV.

That's good. Although, I'd probably burden people with calling grml2iso
themselves. But you guys are better people than me. ;-)

> And IIRC Christian already mentioned that he doesn't consider the
> "artificial limit" an real issue for grml96, and I don't really
> neither.

So the policy is rather: Here's an image with grml32+64 for your
convenience, but be advised that it may not fit on a blank CD, but
probably on your USB pen-drive.

[...]
> If booting from CD is *that* important and relevant
> you shouldn't care about the MBs that you're "losing" with burning
> the ~350MB grml32/grml64 ISO to CD.

I couldn't agree more. The quicker `toram' beats the living shit out of
a half-full CD.

Regards, Frank