[Grml] Help with a new complex installation

Ernesto Domato edomat at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 21:16:00 CEST 2010

Hi list, I was trying to install a stable release of Debian on a new
server but I've found that the default kernel that comes with the
official installer doesn't recognize the SATA controller that the
motherboard has because it seems that is a board newer than the
kernel.

Then, I've booted the computer with a grml64 and it recognize well the
controller and the two SATA disks attached to it.

The two SATA disks are of the same type and size. I would like to use
Raid1 for redundancy and LVM2 to manipulate the space and add of
additional disks easily. I would also like to use XFS to test it since
for what I read it's better than reiserfs and ext3 for journaling and
performance.

So, could you help me with this?. Reading about grub2, it can
recognize RAID1, LVM and XFS partitions, but I don't know if it can do
it if I use them all together for the "boot" directory. So, on the
partition part, should I use a small (128Mb) RAID1+ext3 partition for
the "boot" directory containing the initrd file and then the rest with
RAID1+LVM+XFS?. How can I use grml to perform all this and have a
stable Debian working on this server with this configuration?.

Thanks for all.
Ernesto