[Grml] Boot loaders

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Tue Sep 29 11:21:39 CEST 2009

Michael Whapples <mwhapples at aim.com> wrote:
> My questions:
> 1. Am I right about grub being able to accept commands at the boot
> screen allowing booting of anything (even if it isn't in the menu list)?

yes. Also, grub doesn't need to overwrite the boot sector whenever you upgrade
a kernel; all it needs to do is change a configuration file to refer to the
new kernel image and init-rd image.

> 3. Have you got any extra reasons you would suggest changing to grub
> from lilo or is there a different boot manager you would suggest?

I would suggest going straight to Grub 2 and skipping grub-legacy if you can.
Debian Sid has already moved to Grub 2, Ubuntu are heading in that direction
and I expect other distributions to follow. Grub 1 hasn't been maintained for
years, but only recently has Grub 2 matured to the point of being widely
usable.