[Grml] the linux cookbook

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Wed Oct 28 05:18:51 CET 2009

Use virtual terminals in Linux.  One for root, and then ctty 2 <cr> into a
second terminal and log in with a different account and bring the book up
in that second account.  Read with lynx and hit the (!) command to get you
a secondary shell.  Then type ctty 1 <cr> and youre back in your root
account ready to key in those instructions.  Then ctty 2 <cr> and then
type exit <cr> and you're back in the book where you left off.  A
suggestion in root is to log what instructions you followed along with
their results.  If you're not sure of something you're about to do, type
script <cr> first and after you did it type exit.  That'll get you a
transcript in a file called typescript you can review later.  Especially
useful since if lots of output hits the screen real fast your typescript
file will save all of it for you.  Those typescript files are properly
reviewed and used as inputs for your log entries and dates and times also
need to go in your root log as well so if a sequence of events needs to be
reconstructed later those times and dates will make that process possible