[Grml] My DHCP client isn't started automatically anymore

Hermann meinelisten at onlinehome.de
Sun Oct 11 12:16:48 CEST 2009

On 10.10.2009 at 11:09:36 Hermann <meinelisten at onlinehome.de> wrote:

> Hi,
> since a safe-upgrade on 08.10.09, dhclient3 does not start automatically
> anymore.
> I use a router )Fritzbox), which is connected via USB to my machine. The
> hardware gets detected properly, and I have activated DHCP on the
> Fritzbox.
> The internal IP has not changed.
> Reconfiguring the network via grml-config results in turning on the
> client, but specifying the startup of dhclient at boot, fails.
> Although I answer this question with "yes", the client doesn't start
> with the boot procedure. The config script exits with code 1 shown at the
> prompt, but there are no error messages on the screen.
> The only thing that works is to include the networking script into the
> startup procedure by:
> update-rc.d networking defaults
> This was not necessary before.
> The client's binary has the date of 05.10.09, although the problems came
> up yesterday.
> I include the contents of my /etc/network/interfaces here:
>
> auto lo eth0
> iface lo inet loopback
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> Any hints?

I deactivated the networking script again and activated the bootlogd
program.
Here are the related lines from /var/log/boot:

Sun Oct 11 11:38:53 2009: Setting up networking....
Sun Oct 11 11:38:53 2009: Cleaning up temporary files....
Sun Oct 11 11:38:54 2009: Setting up resolvconf...done.
Sun Oct 11 11:38:56 2009: Not starting as we're not running in a vm.
Sun Oct 11 11:38:56 2009: Running 0dns-down to make sure resolv.conf is ok...done.
Sun Oct 11 11:38:56 2009: Cleaning up temporary files....

What does this mean? "not in a vm"?
If this should stand for "virtual machine", I don't understand this
entry at all. I've installed GRML as only OS on that machine.
Hermann