[Grml] Test of Antivirus engines on GRML

Michael Schierl schierlm at gmx.de
Sat Nov 21 20:22:23 CET 2009

Hi,

I tested a few antivirus engines in the last weeks and I wanted to
summarize what I found out (all engines I tested could be used on a GRML
live CD which is very cool) but it seems I cannot create pages in the wiki?

So, I just post the stuff here:

=====

Running antivirus software on GRML 2009.10 (Hello-Wien)

This is a list of antivirus software that has been tested to work or not
work on GRML. Fortunately, all software I tested worked on GRML 2009.10
(which was quite different when I did this test a year ago). But of
course that was not GRML's fault.

ClamAV
------

Clamav has the advantage it is included in grml. Unfortunately as of
writing this, the scan engine is not the latest one available. You can
scan anyway, a few of the newest signatures will not work, though.

Update command: freshclam
scan command: clamscan /mnt/somewhere

Avira
-----

Avira is free for non-commercial use and a free 30-day trial is
available for commercial use.

Personal: http://www.free-av.de/en/download/download_servers.php
(Direct download:
http://dlpe.antivir.com/package/wks_avira/unix/en/pers/antivir_workstation-pers.tar.gz)
Professional:
http://www.avira.com/de/downloads/avira_antivir_professional.html

To install:
  tar xfvz antivir_*.tar.gz
  cd antivir-*
  ./install

When prompted (except for the license) just accept the default. Dazuko
will not work because grml's kernel does not support it, but you can
continue anyway. You *have* to say Y (which is default) for installing
dazukofs, though (even if you don't have the kernel module), since
otherwise even the on-demand scanner will not start.

Before updating/scanning, start the avguard daemon: avguard start
Update command: avupdate --product=Guard
Scan command: avscan /mnt/somewhere

F-Prot
------

F-Prot Antivirus for Workstations is available free for non-commercial
use as well and as trial for commercial use.

Website: http://www.f-prot.com/download/home_user/download_fplinux.html
Direct link:
http://files.f-prot.com/files/unix-trial/fp-Linux-i686-ws.tar.gz

To install:
  tar xfvz fp-Linux-i686-ws.tar.gz
  cd f-prot
  ./install-f-prot.pl

(just accept the defaults, it will update signatures automatically when
installation is finished)

Scan command: fpscan /mnt/somewhere

Bitdefender
-----------

Bitdefender provides a Debian package (that works on GRML):
http://content-down.bitdefender.com/repos/deb/pool/non-free/b/bitdefender-scanner/bitdefender-scanner_7.6-3_i386.deb

AVG
---

AVG provides a Debian package (that works on GRML) as well:
http://download.avgfree.com/filedir/inst/avg85flx-r290-a2950.i386.deb

Avast and Panda

Avast provide download for trial versions for their Linux products only
by e-mail. So, if you really want to try them, fill in their web forms
and receive link and license file by e-mail.

Avast *does* work on GRML, Panda for some reason did not send me a
download link at all. Perhaps you have more luck? ;-)

=====

Regards,

Michael