[Grml] daily.grml.org questions

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sun Mar 8 04:16:05 CET 2009

* Keith Hinton <keithint1234 at gmail.com> [20090308 03:42]:

> I have a question or so about the grml.org daily snapshots:
> I know that bugs can occur majorly, and all of that.
> But Has anyone thought of making full grml releases that are based off
> of Debian stable so that people can successfully run servers with grml
> if they choose, without being forced to install Debian?Just curious!

Seriously: please use plain Debian for running servers!  If you like
grml's zsh, vim, screen,... configuration you can get it without the
need for a full grml installation as well. Installation of Debian
from grml is possible via grml-debootstrap.

> Another question:
> Do the daily snapshots of GRML contain Speakup?
> Or, does only the GRML devel releases etc contain accessibility support?
> The daily grml page does not mention specifically if the visually
> impaired access is vailable in those builds.

Daily snapshots are just what will become a stable release once. Our
development cycles regarding releases looks like this:

- daily snapshots: for testing current development, for bug hunting...
- development releases: point-releases between 2 stable releases,
  so several users can test new features and report bugs against a
  specific version
- release candidates: pre-release(s) of a new stable version,
  meant to be in a pretty good shape already and calling for public
  testing ("will all the stuff that's important to me work in the
  new stable release?")
- stable release: what's known as officially announced, widely
  tested version

So the daily snapshots provide all the stuff that will be shipped
with a new stable once. Regarding your answer: yes, the large grml
flavour includes the usual accessibility features.