[Grml] GRML and debian unstable?

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Mon Jun 29 12:55:22 CEST 2009

Hello,
There's one thing which has slightly puzzled me about GRML, why does it
use debian unstable? I can imagine stable is not wanted as it can get
quite out dated due to the time between debian stable releases, but why
not testing?

Why this puzzles me is that due to it using debian unstable problems can
occur with package conflicts, broken packages, etc, so leading to it
really not being good for those unfamiliar with linux and debian package
management. However there are parts of GRML which I feel are good for
useability, eg. some of the scripts for configuring the system, like
grml-network which is probably the simplest way of configuring a network
interface I have found for a text console.

Also as a blind user the in built accessibility is something which makes
it good for me (some other distros either didn't have any accessibility
for the install process, required a separate modified CD (eg. fedora) or
in the case of slackware which while providing the accessibility only
could use a hardware speech synthesiser for the install). This meant if
anyone asked about an accessible install then GRML was good from that
angle. However things are changing, vinux has moved towards being debian
based and may be now would be my suggestion for a first time users
distro with accessibility.

Michael Whapples