[Grml] Extraction of the small and medium flavors from the full one.

Ernesto Domato edomat at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 00:06:03 CEST 2009

Hi, now that the grml2iso from git is working, I was wondering is
there's some way to create the small and medium images from the full
one. For example, if I want to create a DVD with grml, grml-medium and
grml-small on it, I'll have to download the 3 flavors even when the
grml one also contains (in some way) the other two. So, if we have
some way to extract the small and medium flavor from the full one, we
could save some bandwidth from the mirrors.

I guess that the other option is to create the images using grml-live
with a local mirror so the packages are only downloaded once.

Another option could be to create differential squashfs from small to
medium and from medium to full, and place the three squashfs on the
full CD so when you chose full for example, the system will mount the
three squashfs together using unionfs to create the full version. I
don't know if it's possible or if you can understand what I trying to
explain, but I think could be an interesting idea. Anyway, we should
also consider the performance issue of stacking several squashfs with
unionfs.

Greetings.
Ernesto