[Grml] Network booting, Terminal Server or PXE

T o n g mlist4suntong at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 24 17:48:48 CEST 2009

Hi Mika,

Just out of curiosity, how do you compare Terminal Server and PXE?

I knew the term "Terminal Server" when I knew grml, and only within the
grml community. The outside world seems to be interested in PXE instead.
So I like to know the reason behind why grml chose Terminal Server over
PXE.

Here are the homeworks I've done:

The only "Terminal Server" I found on the web seems to related with
KNOPPIX
http://knoppix.manty.net/
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/KNOPPIX_Terminal_Server

But the original author of the wiki document, Rjent, has moved his
efforts to working on something else.

PXE is backed by Intel and is part of Intels(tm) Wired for Management
(WfM)
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/PXE_FAQ

The Linux Magazine has written a good article about 'Network Booting'
http://www.linux-mag.com/id/1179

Tim Kientzle
Tuesday, October 15th, 2002

in which Tim recommended PXE.

Thanks

PS. For those PC that has Network booting built-in capability in ROM, are
they booting PXE or Terminal Server or something else?

PPS. The reason that I'm asking, its very easy to test PXE booting in
KVM...

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/