[Grml] How to install GRML to one harddrive with Windows XP installed on this harddrive?

Maurice McCarthy moss at mythic-beasts.com
Fri Jan 2 02:50:26 CET 2009

Janusz

Thank you for the complement but I'm not really an expert. I've just made
all the same mistakes that you make!

Don't worry. Windows is blessedly stupid. ntldr will boot anything you
tell it to. Put in your grml CD and boot it as normal or just type
failsafe as it will be faster. Then mount the Windows partition like this:

# ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1

Now we copy the boot sector of the grml partition to the root directory of
the Windows partition. Make sure the typing is correct when you do

# dd if=/dev/sda3 of=/mnt/sda1/bootsect.sda3 bs=512 count=1

Use your text editor to add the next 2 lines to the bottom of boot.ini

C:\bootsect.sda3="grml"
timeout=30

Then reboot into Windows:

# shutdown -r now

ntldr should now give you a choice of booting windows or grml.

Hope this works for you
Please let us know

Moss