[Grml] How to use GRML to check whether a hard disk is failing

Bob bobnaylor at fastmail.us
Wed Dec 23 12:48:29 CET 2009

David Maus wrote:
> Just a short one:
>
> At Tue, 22 Dec 2009 18:56:24 +0000,
> Michael Whapples wrote:
>> Thanks, some of that would be useful (I found more to do with recovering
>> data than checking that the hardware is working fine). Thinking about
>> it, if the hardware isn't working properly I guess I would be unable to
>> mount the NTFS partition (is this right).
>>

> Not necessarily. Mounting may work but changing a directory or reading
> a file may fail or take ages while the kernel log fills with read
> error messages.
>
> HTH
>
>  -- David

An easy to use tool for data recovery is photorec.  It is part of the
testdisk tools.
" DESCRIPTION
           PhotoRec  is  file  data  recovery software designed to
recover lost files including video, documents and archives from Hard
Disks and CDRom and lost pictures (Photo Recovery) from digital camera
memory.PhotoRec ignores the filesystem and goes after the  underlying
data,  so  it’ll work  even if your media’s filesystem is severely
damaged or formatted. PhotoRec is safe to use, it will never attempt to
write to the drive or memory support you are about to recover lost data
from."

-BoB