[Grml] Installing grml on usb stick

Peter vmail at mycircuit.org
Wed Apr 1 22:44:10 CEST 2009

Hi
I wanted to suggest some minor modifications to the instructions
concerning the usb stick installation.
I found that in order to install grml-medium-2008.11 , I had to adjust
the lines in red. I also added some requirements that might not be
available , when your build environment is not grml ( I suppose $medium
can be replaced with the other flavors but I have not verified ):

aptitude install syslinux   # syslinux 3.71 or later must be available
on your GNU/Linux system <http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live/liveusb.php>

aptitude install dosfstools  # to get mkfs.vfat

    * Get the grml iso
    * Mount the iso loopback (e.g. mount -o loop grml_small_0.4.iso
      /mnt/grml-iso)
    * Make FAT16 filesystem on the usbstick (e.g. mkfs.vfat -F 32
      /dev/sda1)
    * Create a disklabel (e.g. dosfslabel /dev/sda1 GRML)
    * Mount the usbstick (e.g. mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/external1)
    * Copy everything to the usbstick (e.g. cp -r /mnt/grml-iso/*
      /mnt/external1).
    * Move all files from /mnt/external1/boot/isolinux/ (mv
      /mnt/external1/boot/isolinux/* /mnt/external1)

and the files linux26 and the minirt.gz (since grml1.1: initrd.gz!) from
the directory named like the grml-flavour (/boot/grml, /boot/grmlmedium,
/boot/grml64,...) to root of usb-stick

         in /mnt/external1, mv isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg  #I am not
sure if this is required, though <http://www.livecd.ethz.ch/usbdisk.html>

    * the files linux26 and initrd.gz must remain in boot/grmlmedium  #
      this is what is said in syslinux.cfg
    * Umount the usbstick and the grml-iso
    * Run syslinux on the usbstick (e.g. syslinux /dev/sda1)
    * Check if the usbstick has an valid mbr, else dd if=mbr.bin
      of=/dev/sda (mbr.bin is in the syslinux package, usually installed
      in /usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin)
    * may need to set the bootable flag using parted (or fdisk)

disk layout:

/mnt/external1:

addons
f1
..
isolinux
isolinux.bin
syslinux.cfg
ldlinux.sys
live/
   filesystem.module
   grml-medium.squashfs

boot/grmlmedium
  initrd.gz
  linux26

Pleases let me know , if I am wrong of if there are better ways to do
that ( I know, there is grml2usb, but I want to be sure to understand
what's going on)

Thanks
Peter