[Grml] for loop zsh parse error 100% cpu

Frank Terbeck ft at grml.org
Thu Sep 11 11:40:30 CEST 2008

Michael Prokop <mika at grml.org>:
[...]
> > i meant 'NO!' of course. it works with 'zsh -f'!
>
> Alright, so definitely some kind of problem in our config.
>
> @Frank: care to investigate on that?

Yes, I already tried it.

Given the code that introduces the bug:

[snip]
for i in 1 2 3; do
zsh: parse error
[snap]

Clearly hints to something in our configuration, because that's pretty
basic zsh syntax. However, I'm not sure the vcs_info() stuff is
responsible here.

I can reproduce the problem with grml's config (even though on my box
zsh does _not_ eat 100% CPU after that).

If I *disable* the vcs_info() code by:
    % zstyle 'vcs_info:*:' enable false

I _still_ get the parse error.

I cannot reproduce this with my own configuration - from which I
cut'n'pasted the vcs_info() code into the grml setup. That means, I'm
using the same code in my config.

I do have a suspicion, where the problem may be located.

Matthias, does this still happen for you after disabling vcs_info():
zstyle 'vcs_info:*:' enable false

I suspect you can and I'm looking at my suspicion right now.

Regards, Frank

                                                  -- RFC 1925