[Grml] msmtp through ssh-tunnel

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Thu Oct 9 23:08:02 CEST 2008

This might be more appropriately directed to msmtp-users, but as
there's the following in the ~/.msmtprc that came with grml, I
thought I'd check here first.

  # use ssh-tunnel
  # ==============
  # set up tunnel via ssh:
  # ssh -l mika -L 9999:your.rootserver.tld:25 user at sshserver.tld -N -f
  #
  # host localhost
  # port 9999

Wanting to tunnel msmtp through ssh, I tried this in my ~/.msmtprc:

  from username1 at mydomain.net
  ssh -l john -L 9999:mydomain.net:25 username1 at mydomain.net -N -f
  host localhost
  port 9999

And in ~/.muttrc :       set sendmail="/usr/bin/msmtp"

But got the following error when attempting to send a message:

  msmtp: /home/john/.msmtprc: line 25: unknown command ssh

Probably I'm overlooking something(s) obvious regarding the use of
ssh and msmtp... Should that ssh command be invoked independently of
msmtp somehow, maybe in a wrapper script? Should I be looking at the
set_sendmail.sh script?

Any pointers much appreciated.

John

--