[Grml] grml in a multi-boot environment

Maurice McCarthy moss at mythic-beasts.com
Sat Jun 28 04:55:23 CEST 2008

Hi Don, Welcome

At the installation of the boot loader although lilo is there as default
grub is also there as a second choice. Other blind users have indirectly
indicated to the list that this is second choice not apparent to them. I
don't understand why as it is clear to a sighted user. If I remember
rightly it is a radio button type of choice.

By default in grml 1.1 grub is placed into the installation partition and
not the mbr. It will write its own menu.lst into /boot/grub/ on that
partition. I do not remember the script picking up on other installed
systems, it just ignores them. So this means a little manual
configuration.
(I'm at sea just now and don't have my system to look at.)

I think this can be done by installing grml, let's say on sda7, then boot
fedora and mount the grml partition. Then copy the tail of grml's menu.lst
to the fedora menu.lst

# mount -t ext3 /dev/sda7 /mnt/grml
# tail -n 20 /mnt/grml/boot/grub/menu.lst >> /boot/grub/menu.lst

Where 20 is the number of lines you want to copy. Sorry if I'm teaching
granny to suck eggs!

Now when you boot your system as normal there will be grml entries in the
list of choices.

Good Luck
Moss