[Grml] Missing fat32 partition

Maurice McCarthy moss at mythic-beasts.com
Mon Feb 11 19:31:51 CET 2008

Hi Willem,

As long as you are managing OK that is fine. I'm an amateur myself and not
part of the grml team as such. Just learning as I go along. Mika spends a
lot of time answering folk and I like to help when I can - just as Mika
and the whole team have helped me.

Look for documentation in /usr/share/doc to help you, e.g. with the
Midnight Commander

mc /usr/share/doc

which is considered to be good way for a novice to look around the system.
The man pages have lots of good info but are horrendous for a new user.

man ntfsprogs   # or ...
man ntfsclone

are quite good however. And please, please have a look at dd, the testdisk
program, also /usr/share/doc/ddrescue and its related shell script
dd_rhelp (I think) if you are planning to use 2 operating systems. They
give you the means to rescue and back-up your system by using the grml
installation disk.

The X-window program gparted is the equivalent of partition magic in the
linux world. (The console program upon which it is based is caleld parted
but it will take you longer to learn to use it. gparted also uses the
ntfsprogs behind the scenes.) BUT ... the X protocol is clear text and
therefore it is discouraged to use X for sysadmin work - it introduces a
security vulnerability.

I'm at Birmingham Airport Uk just now. On my way to work in the North Sea
so I'll not be able to contribute for a couple of weeks.

Best Wishes
Moss