[Grml] Using QEMU with grml

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sat Sep 1 22:25:23 CEST 2007

* - Tong - <mlist4suntong at yahoo.com> [20070901 15:55]:

Hey, I wrote the stuff for http://grml.org/qemu/ ;)

> Now I will give QEMU a serious try. mika, I think your wiki can use some
> more explanation on the following 2 points.

> - "To see if kqemu is enabled and working correctly, use the QEMU monitor
> command" -- please elaborate more about it, because 'info kqemu' didn't give
> me the desired info. Moreover, it'd be better to clearly tell uses in wiki
> how to do it.

Just press ctrl-alt-2 *inside* running qemu and use 'info kqemu' then.
What does it return?

> - I learned that "To run the emulated system, a good idea is to use overlay
> images. This way you can create hard disk image once and tell Qemu to store
> changes in external file. You get rid of all the instability, because it is
> so easy to revert to previous system state."
> (http://manual.sidux.com/en/hd-install-opts-en.htm#qemu)

> could you write something about this overlay image practice as well in your
> wiki please? That'll sure benefit grml users.

Sorry, I've never used a qcow overlay image on my own. Maybe someone
else on this list has experience in using it and can write some
words about it?

> Furthermore, in order to make it easier for grml users, I think it is better
> to start kqemu the standard way, not the hacking way. Please twist the
> following file and release it in the future of grml:

> /etc/init.d/kqemu
[...]

Excellent idea, thanks - will be implemented soon, you can track it
via http://bts.grml.org/grml/issue275