[Grml] [Grml 1.0] cannot boot anymore after upgrade

Ja Bu jb_int at care2.com
Wed Oct 3 18:18:05 CEST 2007

Hi Mika,

first of all, thank you very much for the fast reply.
I guess you know how frustrating it can be to spend many hours
on a problem and finally ending up with no idea how to go on.
So I was very glad to find your reply in my inbox so soon :-)

> The last 1-2 lines of the output would be interesting.

Here are the error messages when booting with LILO:
----
[....]
No root-on-loop configured, skipping
Begin: Loading MD modules ...
Failure: failed to load module linear.
Failure: failed to load module multipath.
Failure: failed to load module raid0.
Failure: failed to load module raid1.
[....]
Success: loaded module raid456.
[...]
Failure: failed to load module raid10.
Done.
Warning: missing mdaadm.conf file, trying to create one...
Segmentation fault
Done.
Begin: Waiting for root file system... ...
----

----
||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
ii  grub            0.97-19        GRand Unified Bootloader
ii  initramfs-tools 0.85c          tools for generating an initramfs
ii  lilo            22.6.1-9       LInux LOader - The Classic OS loader can loa
ii  lvm2            2.02.06-3      The Linux Logical Volume Manager
ii  mdadm           2.5.6-6        tool to administer Linux MD arrays (software
ii  udev            0.103-1grml2   /dev/ and hotplug management daemon
----

Here is lilo.conf (which I currently use):
----
lba32
prompt
timeout=50
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
boot=/dev/sda
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-grml
        label="2.6.20-grml
        append="grml_from_hd root=UUID=ffb575cc-c8df-4063-e0f8cb6aff03  "
        read-only
        vga=0x0317
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-grml
----
=> I left out only the other sections and the bootscreen related lines
=> I tried also without boot screen
=> I checked that all the files mentioned above do really exist
=> the UUID is the correct one (checked with Ubuntu live CD)
=> the hard disk is really sda (the only existing partition is sda1)

Here is the current menu.lst (after removal of comments etc):
-> this one is the one with /dev/sdX:
----
default 0
timeout 10
title         Debian GNU/LInux, kernel 2.6.20-grml
root          hd0,0
kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-grml root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=791
initrd        /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-grml
savedefault
----
=> as I said: I also found detailed descriptions how to install
              grub manually which I followed exactly   (http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Installing-GRUB-natively)
=> the result was the same (only 'GRUB' being displayed before
   the system was hanging)

-> this is the only change of the original menu.lst with the UUIDs:
----
[... same lines as above ...]
kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-grml root=UUID=ffb575cc-c8df-4063--e0f8cb6aff03 ro vga=791
----

In your third mail you wrote:

> Just verified it on my own: root=UUID=... still/again does not work
> with initramfs-tools. So just use root=/dev/... on your grub cmdline
> in the meanwhile to boot your system, I'm debugging the problem....

I already did that in the case of grub (see modified menu.lst above).
The result is the same. Or did I miss a step somewhere? After changing
the menu.lst do I have to do any additional steps? (I think I reinstalled grub after that, but I am not sure.)

By the way: I got the GRML virtual appliance from:
http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/899
(I don't know whether the distributor modified the VMachine
 in the meantime.)

Thanks again for your help. Hope you can guide me how to
resolve that problem.

Best regards,

Jan

http://toolbar.Care2.com  Make your computer carbon-neutral (free).